How Long Since We Sent LOI?

How Long Have We Been LID?

Friday, March 27, 2009

Beijing City Tour

Wow! What an incredible day we had today! We met up with our travel group and our guide at 9am and went straight to Tiannamen Square. I can't even begin to describe how enormous it is! It is the largest city square in the world and receives over 100,000 visitors each day! I think all 100,000 were there when we were! I have never experienced the ongoing crowds like today. There were thousands and thousands of people lined up to go into the mausoleum to see Chairman Mao's crystal tomb. People would wait for hours to get to spend two seconds viewing the crystal coffin. We did not wait with the throngs of people for that!
After walking the Square we crossed the street to the Forbidden City. The forbidden city was built in 1406 and is so huge and ornate! It seemed to go on and on and on. Just as you thought you were surely at the end, it would open to another courtyard. There were so many people there!
After spending a few hours there we went to lunch at a typical Chinese restaurant. They served us about 8-9 different dishes including lotus fruit. It was yummy!
The next stop was the silk factory---Oh! My! Goodness! That was really cool! We got to see them actually pulling the silk from the cocoons--actually got to keep a few cocoons! They showed us the whole process and the finished product was beautiful. Mom bought us a silk-filled duvet that is just wonderful! I was going to get a silk duvet cover but I can just imagine Bonnie snagging it with her claws!
Then on to a Hutong which is an old traditional style neighborhood with very narrow alleys and clustered homes. This is where the poorer families live. Several families share a bath and each home generally has 3 small rooms. We went into one of the homes and were able to see how the people live.
Our guide took us to a porcelain factory next---they make some really beautiful pieces and then hand paint them with really intricate designs.
A very busy day!

A couple things we have noticed here:
-there is NO litter! It is overwhelmingly crowded but there is not one piece of trash on the ground. Everywhere you look you see cleaning people sweeping the sidewalks.
-when you get in a car you are taking your life in your own hands! I don't even want to talk about trying to cross streets! OYE!
-we haven't seen a single gas station here.
-the people are really fascinated with Sean but are sweet and kind about it and it hasn't bothered Sean at all.
-this is a wonderful country with a rich culture and we are loving being here!

R. will arrive Sunday night and I can't wait to have him here! We have been able to Skype with video and text with my cell phone. Not the same as being together but better than nothing!

Here are some pictures from today:

4 comments:

Margaret M said...

Great pictures! I felt that we were right back there!

Pink Velvet Mommy said...

dude.....you are in China!!!

I am counting the minutes until it is Neely time!! I am so excited for you I am about to bust.

Friday here, and still no news on our end...hoping something today.

hugs, hugs, hugs!!

Pink Velvet Mommy said...

it is almost time, I couldn't sleep, so I thought I would check to see if you had updated. You are in the final hours before having that little girl in your arms.

I am sending you my love and prayers that everyone will be able to find peace in the first few days of what will be a scary experience for Neely!! She will come into her own, and do great, she will just need a little time to adjust!!

It is really happening, and we are so excited for your family to become a family of 4!!!

Carrie said...

We did skype with the kids when we were gone it helped me a lot! it was hard to be away from them!